Tax Debt And Tax Settlement Options Attorney
The state of California tax authorities and IRS officials know that not everyone will be able to pay the full amount of tax arrears due. They are smart enough to know that if people had the money sitting in a savings account, they probably wouldn’t have run into the tax problem in the first place.
If you live or operate a business in the Greater Sacramento area or anywhere in Northern California and are facing tax collection issues, call Coggins Law Office, in Roseville. I am an experienced tax attorney helping taxpayers resolve tax collections issues.
- FRESH START PROGRAM: If you owe less than $50,000 to the IRS you may qualify for the IRS Fresh Start program
- INSTALLMENT AGREEMENTS: Before you respond to a notice or agree to any kind of a tax workout, talk to an experienced tax lawyer
- OFFERS IN COMPROMISE: One important option a taxpayer has for greatly reducing the amount owed, the Offer In Compromise is an agreement by which the IRS agrees to accept less than the total amount of liabilities owed by the taxpayer
- PENALTIES AND INTEREST ABATEMENT: Large penalties and interest can make a modest tax debt overwhelming. However, there is a way to eliminate penalties and interest and reduce your overall tax debt. I can help.
- PERSONAL BANKRUPTCY: There are ways to negotiate with the IRS, but sometimes it’s not enough to give you the relief you need. In certain circumstances, filing for bankruptcy may be the answer.
Several Options Available To Delinquent Taxpayers
- Statute of limitations: If the IRS determines that the taxes you owe date back more than 10 years, statutes say the money is no longer collectible for many types of taxes. We will help you determine if your taxes are uncollectible due to the 10-year statute. (Calculating the statute can be difficult, as there are events that toll the statute.)
- Personal or business bankruptcy: Under specific conditions, filing bankruptcy under Chapter 7, Chapter 13 or Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code may reduce or discharge the taxes owed.
- Offers in compromise: If there is doubt as to liability for the amount the government says you owe, I can help you work out a deal, often reducing the amount you owe considerably.
- Installment agreements: You may qualify for an option to pay off the IRS through monthly payments. Under the new Fresh Start program, there is a streamlined process for applying and acceptance for taxpayers owing less than $50,000.
- Penalty and interest abatement: You may qualify for a penalty or interest abatement even if you have the money to pay the taxes, we can review your circumstances to see if this solution works for your situation.
- Currently not collectible: This may seem like the best option, but it is only a temporary solution. If you can demonstrate that you have no assets or income to pay your taxes, the government may agree to place your account into currently not collectible status for a period of time to be reviewed periodically.
- Appeal tax audit
- U.S. Tax Court
Call An Experienced Tax Resolutions Attorney
From my office in Roseville, I represent clients in state and federal tax law resolution and litigation matters throughout Northern California.
Call 916-270-2895 or contact my office by email to arrange a free initial consultation and evaluation of your tax problem.